Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Stuff!

The last couple of days I have been packing stuff starting with the knickknacks that I really love. It is amazing how many I have. As I dust each one off and wrap it, I think about where it came from and who it came from. The memories come back as though I am there for the first time. This was from Mom and Dad Christmas 1997; this is from Holland in 2003; my sister made this for me in memory of my sister. Glass, Delft, Tea Cups and antique books all get packed together as some of my most precious possessions.

I actually have a love/hate relationship with my stuff. I love the reminders and the memories they bring as I look at them. Yet I despise dusting and the clutter. Even as I wrap each item in protective paper, I wish I didn’t have so much. But which do I let go and which do I hold close. Viewing the stuff may help bring the memories to the fore, but the memories are within me even when it is not near. I remember that I cannot live for my stuff and I cannot take any of it with me. So, I resolve to move most of my stuff, but not to hold it too dear. There is more important stuff to hold close—my Savior who allows me to have stuff here on earth while I wait to join Him in eternity.


Don't store up treasures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safe from thieves.
Matthew 6:19-20

11 comments:

bigwhitehat said...

I too have a love hate relationship with your stuff. I mean my stuff.

clew said...

Wow - I posted a very similarish post today. Kind of. Well, you'll see what I mean. :)

Joubert said...

I used to collect chotckes too but hate dusting so I got rid of most of them.

juanitagf said...

BWH~ Very funny :)

Clew~ Are we realted? We seem to do this often.

Patrick~ The dust is what will cause me to give most of them up.

ABFreedom said...

I've lived in this new place for 2 years and still haven't unpacked any stuff I don't need ... thanks for the reminder, i'll have to bring it to the dumpster, the place looks better without it ... LOL

Dionne said...

I've learned that to keep my sanity I have had to get rid of some of my "stuff". You are right about the memories and it makes it hard but too much stuff clutters up the mind. At least I know it does for me.

I've had to decide which things I will keep and which I will be more prone to get rid of. Books are my thing that I'm not as restrictive on. I love my books :-).

Gayle said...

I wish I could talk my husband into getting rid of stuff. He is a pack-rat!

Dusting is a bore, and I really need to get to it. I try to keep the knick-nacks down. Never buy them, but people keep sending them to me. So I store them, then try to remember where I put them when those people come to visit. What a hassle!

clew said...

Hey j, your "mast head" kind of inspired my latest post. Come see. :)

Cheryl said...

An excellent reminder. Good luck with all that packing.

Crystal said...

Good luck with the move and tha packing....I hope all goes well!
Blessings

Nelly said...

Hello again! Packing is not a fun chore! Good luck with it all!