Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Soul Mate

On June 21, 1986 my life changed. The day began hot and sunny in eastern Washington as I prepared for my first time away from home. I was to work at a Christian camp for the summer. Lake Retreat was several hours from home in western Washington. I was both excited and nervous about making new friends and being farther from home for an extended time than I had ever been before. My dad dropped me off at camp and got me settled, but he had to leave to get back for a service that evening. It was a long afternoon until more people arrived. My anxiety rose to new highs over the hours.

When the time for dinner came and I went down to the dining hall, it was with great trepidation. A person approached me and introduced herself and asked if she could introduce me to some of the others. We went over to a group of about 8 others and each person said hello. One guy gave a little wave and smiled with such sincerity that I wanted to get to know him a bit better. Over the next few days, our paths crossed during our training. And within the next two weeks, I knew he was the one. I was going to marry him.

Even though I knew he was a great guy and he make me laugh, I had no idea at the time just how much of my soul mate he would become. We married 14 months later. Over the years, I have come to rely on him for my sanity. He is the world to me and I would never want to be with out him.

8 comments:

Joubert said...

I guess he doesn't have to be handy with power tools. :)

ABFreedom said...

That's so great to hear in a world where everything is geared to tear everything apart. God Bless you both.

juanitagf said...

Ahh, but he is, Patrick. He just is so unselfish that he lets me use them.

Gayle said...

What a wonderful thing to post, JGF. I'm glad you two found each other. Blessings! :)

Dionne said...

Awesome story--thanks for sharing!! Gotta love Christian camps :-).

Crystal said...

what a wonderful tribute to the love of your life.....I love hearing other people's stories!
Blessings
Crystal

DeeDee said...

This is such a sweet story, have a happy "first meeting" anniversary!
DeeDee

Walker said...

That is so beautiful!