Thursday, February 09, 2006

Quiet Down!


As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's cross to the other side of the lake.” He was already in the boat, so they started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). But soon a fierce storm arose. High waves began to break into the boat until it was nearly full of water.

Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. Frantically they woke him up, shouting, "Teacher, don't you even care that we are going to drown?" When he woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the water, "Quiet down!" Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. And he asked them, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still not have faith in me?"

Mark 4:35-41 (NLT)

This is a lesson I cannot hear too many times. So often I get caught up in the turmoils of life and forget to have faith that God is in control. It is then that I need the reminder to slow down and trust God.

5 comments:

Dionne said...

Awesome post!! I love that story.

ABFreedom said...

It's to bad we can't apply this to the world as a whole .., but I'm satisfied enough to just apply it to my own little world.

Mark said...

Here's another quote from Jesus that not only dovetails with that story, but has special significance for me, too:

"Take no thought for the morrow, for the morrow will take thought for itself"

Sometimes we worry a little too much about what will happen tomorrow. When we give tomorrow to Jesus, we can not only know that things will work out according to God's plan, but we free ourselves up to live our lives with joy.

Rebekah said...

What a beautiful picture and post. We would all do well to follow that advice.

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Your final comment surely applies to me too. I have been needing a very long prayer meeting...with our Lord instead of my short ones lately. I love that story in Mark about Jesus.....

An experience I once had:
Actually being out at sea returning home from a billfishing tournament once (about 100 miles off shore-June 1994)High winds and waves came out of nowhere due to a front, we were in fear of the boat going under....it was so bad.
I referred back to this story of Jesus...and it helped to calm me with the faith I have in our Lord. It brought me great comfort at a time we were terrified for 8-10 hours...the capt fought the 12 ft. waves as we crawled in the cabin.