Sunday, June 18, 2006

My Father


My dad taught me how to hammer a nail, tape sheetrock, butcher chickens and pour concrete. My dad was the one I would recite my verses to at the end of each school year to earn a trophy. He was the one that made the rules that were firm. As I was thinking about what to write about him, I thought of too many good memories to pick just one. There was the afternoon he taught me to tape sheetrock when we worked side by side and talked about whatever came up. Then there was the day he started teaching me to drive and we couldn’t communicate if the clutch was in or out. Or the sunny afternoon when we were in the Forest City parade, or ice fishing, or camping, or ... There are so many times when we laughed together and other times when we have cried together. My dad is not perfect; he has shortcomings like anyone else. But he is my dad and I am glad he is. So, today is for him and all the imperfect, wonderful dads like him.


I love you, Daddy!

9 comments:

Joubert said...

Just beautiful.

Jan/The Mom said...

Your dad is very much like my dad. Both in personality and looks. It was a good mold!

ABFreedom said...

Blessings to your dad and your family, he sounds like a wonderful person.

Donella said...

I am continually stunned by the physical characteristics of our family. It is amazing how much you look like Lynda in those photos. Amazing, really.

I agree, Grandpa is some great guy!

Gayle said...

Your Dad is not only a good father; he's a good-looking man. (I do notice such things!)

Wonderful post!

juanitagf said...

Patrick, AB, Nettie~ Thank you. He deserves it.

One of Many~ I have great memories of Grandpa even though we didn't see them often.

Donella~ It's funny how I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. I also didn't notice how much Lynda looked like your mom until recently.

Gayle~ He is distinguished looking. It wasn't hard to watch him behind the pulpti each Sunday morning.

Donella said...

Funny - it seems that every picture I see of a member of our family, they always look like another. We're connected!

Walker said...

How sweet. Not many gals can say their dad taught them to tape sheetrock. Now that's liberation!

Sheri said...

I want to be like our Dad when I grow up.