Monday, June 12, 2006

Twenty Years Ago Today

It is hard to believe that it was that long ago, yet twenty years cannot be that long. Yet I finished High School twenty years ago this evening. I was a bit sad to have the time over. But it was not the most pleasant time either. My dad was the pastor/superintendent of the private school that I attended. Not all of my teachers liked him much and they didn’t have the sense or maturity to let their issues with him stay with him. One’s dislike of my dad spilled over onto me. I was not completely innocent in it, I knew she did not like my dad and I played on that some. But I had my beliefs and I refused to change them to fit her view of the world. I do have many more happy memories of high school. There was playing football during the first snow of the year, softball and volleyball tournaments, state and national conventions, hanging out with my friends and the daily learning of new things.

Even with the good memories outweighing the negative, I would not go back to those days even if I knew then what I know now. Life today is too full, too deep to go back to the days when the unimportant things in life mattered too much and the important things mattered too little. So, I will take life as it is now, even with its complications and nuances.
Photo ~
Back Row: Sheri, Mom, Janelle
Middle Row: Lynette, Me
Front: Melanie

4 comments:

DeeDee said...

It's been 17 years for myself. I went to a Christian school also. I didn't grow up in it, but went from 9th grade on. It seems like forever ago. I understand what you are saying about the unimportant and the important things. I think we all go through that as teenagers. I wish I knew then what I know now, I'm sure I would have lived my life differently, but I don't really know if I would want to go back that far, if I could. I would however be willing to go back about 4 years, if you know anyone with a time machine!? :)
DeeDee

Donella said...

That's a funny picture. Not because any of you look funny - but just funny in general. Just another wonderful memory of Twisp. I know to you it was the place you grew up, with the goods & bads... But of all my memories as a kid, the happiest ones come from Twisp. One of the only places I could really be a kid. Thanks for that, you helped!

It was a long time ago, funny how time flies!

Also take comfort in that of all of you in this picture, mom was the one who most screams "80s." Although, I suppose that is coming back?

Dionne said...

Yah, I graduated 18 yrs. ago. How time flies, it doesn't seem like it could've been that long ago.

juanitagf said...

Dee ~ For all the joys, there has been too much sadness in the last four years to do them again.

Donella ~ Mom and Dad really wanted you to be a kid there. Mom loved for you to just run through the hills and pick flowers! I loved it when you were there. We alsways did some fun things that we may not have done otherwise. Yep, your mom looks the most 80s. Let's just hope that hairstyle doesn't return to fashion!

LMC ~ It is amazing how much faster the years go the older I get!