Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Life-giving Perfume

Our lives are a fragrance presented by Christ to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those being saved and by those perishing. To those who are perishing we are a fearful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved we are a life-giving perfume.
2 Corinthians 2:15-16


I am sure I had read this verse previously, yet reading to understanding can be as different as hearing to listening. Paul was speaking of himself and Timothy. Yet I believe it is also speaks of believers as a whole.

This reiterates to me the fact that God's people are not going to be liked by all. Indeed, we will be hated as much as death. So much that we will smell as such. Death has an aroma that is unique. There is nothing that can be mistaken for it. On the other hand, to those who know God, we smell of life. For this I think of the beginning of life, an infant. Infants have a sweet smell (most of the time). It is also very recognizable.

Does God give his children a sense to know when they come across a fellow believer or a non-believer? I really don't know. Yet, I have often met someone and felt a kinship with them to later discover we also share a belief in the son of the Living God. There are others that I feel a lack of hope even from the first handshake. As time goes by, I learn we do not share the same beliefs and our relationship does not deepen. I cannot tell if this is a God-given gift or simply a bias that I have.

As part of my resolutions for 2006, I will keep my baby smell clean and unfettered by filth. I will do my best, by the grace of God, to be the sweetest smelling child of His that I can be.

10 comments:

Dionne said...

I've always liked those verses. Gives you a neat word picture.

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

You are so right by the scent of an innocent child.

I do believe God gives us a sense to know in reference to other believers. I know I can feel it stronger sometimes than other times. It may be when I am stronger in my relationship with our Father instead of doing my own thing without HIM. That gift is always stronger when I am praying more.

Gayle said...

Lovely post!

I came by to thank you for stopping by and wishing me well! It's appreciated. Thanks! :)

bigwhitehat said...

Try as you might, you can't wash off the smell of death. Good thing He can.

Gayle said...

I'm sorry... I forgot to say I truly enjoyed this post. :)

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I know just what you mean. I too have sensed something different from Some people that I later find out are Christians. It's nothing that they do or say, but something like a "glow" I'll say for a lack of a better word.

Thanks for stopping by and voting for Holland;-) I'm still hoping for Japan, but if they go to either place they will be better travelled than I am!

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

I wish I could apologize to you personally for my behavior on my blog lately. I am ashamed of losing my temper and reacting at the same level as others. I appreciate all your comments and hope you will come back. After gathering my thoughts yesterday and putting my energy where it should be...I feel forgiven...now I have to do that to myself and let go. Please know you are welcome anytime. (smiling)
God Bless you....

Nettie said...

Hey, could you email me, I've got something exciting in store. It's nettiebelle@gmail.com. Thanks!

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Thanks for coming over....I had hoped someone else would have noticed that shaking the dust off...was from Paul. Appreciate you...very much!! From now on I am going to TRY (smiling) harder to control myself. (smiling) Hoping now since I went back to politics..that I just keep deleting without lashing back. Pray for me please.

P.S. I hope people that read these comments know I am not talking about you and I...it was about TROLLS and Bad people...invaders. (smiling)

Anonymous said...

Choosing the right perfume can be difficult and because it is also considered an intimate gift buying the wrong perfume can backfire on you and get you the opposite result of that which you hoped for.

The first thing you need to do is do some homework, meaning research. Look at your lady's perfume bottles, the ones that are nearly empty will be her favorites. If there is one there that is nearly full chances are she doesn't wear it often or doesn't like it. Hint around and ask her what types of fragrances she likes and dislikes.

Humans are very sensory oriented and our sense of smell is no different. Certain perfumes can elicit strong reactions in both the wearer and the person reacting to the scent. Perfumes are made not only to attract but to also relax someone. If you aren't totally sure what kind of perfume to buy you can always play it safe and get something in the aromatherapy line. If you go this route, bear in mind that vanilla scents are considered to relax and a peppermint or lemon scent will be more stimulating.