Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunday Hymn

Take Time to be Holy

Take time to be holy,
speak oft with thy Lord;
abide in him always,
and feed on his word.
Make friends of God's children,
help those who are weak,
forgetting in nothing
his blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy,
the world rushes on;
spend much time in secret
with Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus,
like him thou shalt be;
thy friends in thy conduct
his likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy,
let him be thy guide,
and run not before him,
whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow,
still follow the Lord,
and, looking to Jesus,
still trust in his word.

Take time to be holy,
be calm in thy soul,
each thought and each motive
beneath his control.
Thus led by his spirit
to fountains of love,
thou soon shalt be fitted
for service above.

Text: William D. Longstaff, 1822-1894
Longstaff was born on January 28, 1822, in Sunderland, England, the son of a wealthy ship owner. He was a faithful steward of his riches and was known to be a most philanthropic and generous individual. He was a friend of Moody and Sankey, and also of William Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army. He died on April 2, 1894, in his hometown of Sunderland.

3 comments:

sandy said...

Thanks for the link. I'll reciprocate. Did I spell it (reciprocate) right:-)

Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

WOW this is interesting...on my birthday...too humm! That text reminded me of a song at Calvary Church in Fort Lauderdale that they would project the lyrics on the big screens. Or maybe worded a bit differently, but I do remember sorta the chorus of Take Time to be Holy. Thanks for this post!! (smiling) Maybe the song was written around this text.

cori said...

Oh..how beautiful! I've never heard this one before! Thank you so much for sharing it. Do you know what cd it is on? I'd love to buy it.

Thanks also for the link! I love reading and I love learning - two things I get to do on your blog!