Monday, July 14, 2008

Sentimental Clothing

I am melancholy this evening. I cleaned out my closet today. I decided that I would not keep anything that was too big. No going back. No fall back position. It is amazing how sentimental I am about some clothes. Sometimes it is about where I wore it or who made it.

In getting rid of my work suits, it was a changing of me. I dont' work in a professional environment any more. I don't go out to an office and offer advice and support to senior citizens. Instead of suits and heels, I wear t-shirts and jeans. I don't get out of my pajamas until all my residents are up and dressed as I never know what I will have to do. I miss seeing other professionals, but this is the best thing I have done in my career.

Some clothes are going to Goodwill. Many of those belonged to my mother. After she died, I needed clothes and my sisters told me to take some of hers. Now they are too big so they go. I look at each item and remember her wearing it. Mom would be so proud of me and she would want me to let them go.

On a positive note, even clothes I have never worn because they were "just a little tight an I will get into them" are gone. To big already. Other dresses that haven't been worn in years fit perfectly. Some of them are even still in style--maybe back in style...

No comments: