Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Just Call Me "Wrong Way"

I don't know if you have ever heard of Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan.  He is actually more than a character from Gilligan's Island.  Well, that was actually "Wrong Way" Feldman... 

Anyway, on Monday I earned the nickname.  I took a wrong turn on my long run and ended way off course.  Truth is that it added a lot of hills and a couple of extra miles, but it was worth it in the end.  Seriously, when I crested the hill and saw where I was I laughed out loud.  I knew I was a long way from where I meant to be, but it was just funny.  I took a quick break at the Y and refilled my water.  Then I headed back out to the one road I was trying to avoid--Elwert.  Up and down and more ups and downs.  And there is very little shoulder.  And busier than I like.  Oh well...  I ended up meeting up with my husband as he finished his round of golf.  That kept me from another couple of miles and a big hill! 

The morning started with hubby driving me to the Mountain View cemetary.  My route started with a quick visit with my mom.  From there I headed toward home.  A gentle downhill for nearly a mile.  Then came the HILL--2.5 miles with an average 4.8% grade and a max of 7%.  Yes, I planned it that way! 

Visiting my mama

I approached the entire route with the intention of maintaining effort.  If that meant walking some of the hill then so be it.  And so it was.  Yet when I walked, I did not stroll, I kept it moving.  It was hard, but so much fun.  I remembered to look back a few times and enjoy the view as well as patting myself for working hard.  It was beautiful up in the hills.  I love running on narrow country roads where I hardly see another person and get stared at by cows.  From there is was a long down hill followed by a lot of rollers.  My splits were all over the place, but effort was consistent.  My slowest mile was 12:35 and fastest was 8:37. 

Looking back gave me the confidence to move forward.
I ended with just over 14.5 miles in 2:25 (9:56 average).  I truly loved almost every minute of the run.  Mentally, I focused well, switching internally and externally.  Even with the wrong route negativity did not enter the run.  There are good runs and bad runs.  Then there are runs that remind you why you put your shoes and get out the door.  This was one of those runs.  It reminded me how strong I am mentally and physically.  It reminded me that I can do what I set out to do.

10 comments:

NattyBumpo said...

That makes WAY more sense to me now. I was trying to figure out how you took a wrong turn from your house to end up at my house. Now I get it. Heck I don't even like to drive on Elwert sometimes.

Keeley said...

Wow, what an awesome run! A little off course, but really nice miles at a great pace.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Sounds like this wrong turn was a blessing in disguise Juanita! :) Loved your comment on on how your plans in life have changed and how you are so glad your life is the way it is! Great to be happy with where we are at! ;)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I did hillwork on the treadmill this week - wish I'd been running in a place like that! I like country roads, too.

Raina said...

This seems to be happening to many bloggers lately- wrong turns! Pretty funny :)
Hope your heart is good today- Missing mom must be hard.
Hugs!

chris mcpeake said...

nothing better then a great run!

Johann said...

That’s a great workout, well done! I always concentrate on keeping the same effort. Not the same pace, same effort. That means slower on the ups and a little faster on the downs. I try to run my ultras this way. Good that you can laugh about the wrong turn. Have a great week!

C2Iowa said...

Well...I have been there - wrong turns. As you know - I got LOST; at least you did not.

ATTrio said...

Nice work on your run. Looks beautiful =) -Jen

Nicole W. said...

I would DIE running a hill that long and that steep! you go girl!!!!! nice workout!