Friday, March 17, 2006

Whew!

I made it through orientation. Today I got to start working on some of my “real job.” So, anyone in the Portland area that wants to volunteer, send me an e-mail! I am on the roll for recruiting!

DH & I were out walking this evening and I was telling him about my day. I was talking about some counseling I was doing with a volunteer this morning. I talked with her about the death process. I started telling DH what I told her. I talked about the differences from one person to another. Then I went on to other things we talked about. DH said he didn't think he was going to want to hear much about my job. He thinks it is rather morbid and depressing.

I can understand where he is coming from, but I still love the philosophy of hospice and the work we do. The picture explains one of the reasons I choose to work in hospice. This is my mom. Mom died on September 29, 2004. Hospice was a blessing to us. Even though I have worked with people that are dying for years, it is very different when it is personal. Hopefully, I can be a blessing to someone else in the same way.

5 comments:

Joubert said...

Hospice is the opposite of morbid really. It's just very honest. It's the best thing that's happened in years. It sure beats the old days when people who were dying were kept on tubes when they were beyond help.

Joubert said...

PS You look like your mom.

juanitagf said...

Thanks, Patrick, I like looking like her.

I agree with you about the morbidity of hospice. It is a wonderful way of allowing people to die with dignity and without pain.

Dionne said...

God will bless you for helping people like this!! You will be a blessing and a help to so many.

Cheryl said...

You'll be a blessing to many people! I'll bet as time goes on you'll have some wonderful, uplifting moments to share with your hubby.