Sunday, April 03, 2011

Joy!

A single day in your courts
is better than a thousand anywhere else!
I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God
than live the good life in the homes of the wicked.

For the Lord God is our sun and our shield.
He gives us grace and glory.
The Lord will withhold no good thing
from those who do what is right.
Psalm 84:10-11

I read a headline yesterday that reported beautiful people live happier lives.  I suppose that could be true depending on one's definistion of happy. Dictionary.com defines it as delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing: to be happy to see a person; favored by fortune; fortunate or lucky.  Dictionary.com defines joy as the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation.  I realize many view happiness and joy as synonomous.  I view happiness as a superficial emotion.  Happiness comes and goes.  Joy, on the other hand, I see as a deep, abiding state of being.  Happiness is caused by the comings and goings of daily life.  Joy is within us and is not affected by external stimuli.  Happiness ebbs and flows and is available to everyone.  Joy is only achieved by a belief in God and in his ability to work within us.  Joy is not dependent on circumstances.  I can have the lowliest of positions and have an abiding joy.  That is the true measure of life.  No one and nothing can take that joy from me.

1 comment:

Raina said...

This is thought provoking. I agree with your definition of joy- but my earthly person wants the day-to-day happiness too. Perhaps the closer we are in alignment with His will, the easier that comes as well.

BTW. thanks for the coment about the race weight yesterday. I had missed the part you mentioned.