Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Walking, Running and Weight Loss

The other day hubby and I took the dogs out for a walk.  When I saw walk, we don't stroll along as we have to keep up with the dogs.  As we were finishing up, I realized I was working up a sweat.  It was a better workout than my recumbent exercise bike.  I felt different muscles working including more of a stretch in the groin due to longer strides.  I wondered why I don't use walking as my cross training more often.  It is easy on the joints, works muscles differently than running and I still get my heart rate up a bit.  Silly that something we do regularly is overlooked as a way to recover from hard workouts and maintain fitness. 

On the other side is my true love--running.  It has been strange to run just to run.  Heading out the door without a clear plan feels weird, but wonderful.  I always give hubby a general range so he has an idea when I will be back.  In the past, it was always I am running this far at about this pace and will be on this route.  Running for fun becomes I am running about 4-6 miles without knowing which direction or how fast or slow until I get moving.   I get started and run what I feel.  Some days it turns into more of a tempo pace other times a fartlek and others just slow and easy.  Sometimes I start looking toward future races, but I am not ready to change the joy I am having just yet.  There are not many things that I do just for the fun of it and I think I will hang onto that feeling for a while!

And, last, but not least, weight loss.  I am back to the weight I was for the Portland marathon last year, but was already up a bit then.  So, I continue to be very careful about what I eat.  My clothes are fitting better.  I feel better.  Yes, I am tired for no sugar at all.  Yes, I am so hungry sometimes.  Yet I keep reminding myself that hunger is never an emergency.  Each time I refuse to break, I strengthen my resistence muscles! 

3 comments:

Raina said...

Walking...yes. It is good. :)

Glad you two could get out together and enjoy it!

WTG regarding the weight loss. Sounds like you are staying on top of it.

NattyBumpo said...

Yeah for just having fun.

I took the Mrs. on a trip around my new 10 mile loop in the car just so she knows where I might be if I am not back within a certain time frame.

I am looking forward to a nice little run tonight in the rain.

Anonymous said...

it's always a good thing when your clothes feel comfy. and walking is always great.