Sunday, October 17, 2010

Psalm 1

1 Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers.

2 But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night.

3 They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season.  Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do.

4 But not the wicked!  They are like worthless chaff, scattered by the wind.

5 They will be condemned at the time of judgment.  Sinners will have no place among the godly.

6 For the Lord watches over the path of the godly, but the path of the wicked leads to destruction.


This is one of the passages I remember most from school.  I can still quote it in the King James version.  I think about it often.  When I have trouble sleeping, I quote it.  When a run gets tough, I repeat it.  The second verse reminds me of why I do this--to delight in God's word.  It is a great word--delight.  A high degree of pleasure or enjoyment; joy; rapture.  Incredible!   I wish I truly delighted in God's word so I would want it to be at the forefront of my mind day and night.  Maybe someday...

1 comment:

j.p. said...

I was just thinking about this passage the other day. I too, am still able to quote in in the King James and did so, to illustrate to my students the difference between memorizing scripture and putting it in your short term memory bank just long enough to get you through a recitation assignment.